Non-MIT Study Abroad Programs

In addition to MIT study abroad programs and MIT departmental exchanges, there are plenty of other ways you can study abroad.

Apply Directly to a University Abroad

Some universities allow direct enrollment for MIT students. Every university sets its own policies for direct enrollment applications and there are varied levels of support and services for visiting students, so it is best to consult with GEO in an advising appointment and plan well in advance.

Some examples of direct enroll programs include:

  • University of Oxford- Lady Margaret Hall, St. Catz, and St. Peter's
  • London School of Economics in the UK
  • University of New South Wales in Australia
  • University of Syndey in Australia 
  • Tsinghua University in China

Some direct enroll opportunities can be found by searching in Horizons. To explore your options, schedule an appointment with us.

Apply through a Study Abroad Provider

In addition to MIT-managed programs, you can also apply to study abroad programs through other U.S. universities or outside provider programs.

Study abroad for a semester, a summer, or IAP through the Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA) or the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES), both of which offer short and long-term options throughout the world. The DIS Study Abroad in Scandinavia also offers programs for specific majors.

There are also multi-country programs such as the International Honors Program run by SIT Study Abroad. Examine major social justice and sustainability issues and study on three continents over the course of one semester.

To explore these and other opportunities, schedule an appointment with us.